Friday, November 27, 2015

Happy birthday card...changing it up.

Hey everyone, it seems like lately I am on a roll.  
1st post this week and I don't think it will be my last either :)
I decided to take a little break from Christmas cards to make a birthday card for my boyfriends niece.
I thought it would be fun to play along with a challenge for this card too.  
I have never played along with Seize the Birthday and this week their challenge is to create a card using vellum and acetate. 

I started with playing around with some distress inks and I create a background using some of her favourite colours.  From there I put water droplets onto the paper to give it a cool look and then I added the sentiment and the embellishments.  It basically created itself once I had made the paper.  I love how it turned out and my boyfriend says, "probably my favourite one yet."  I really hope that she loves it too.

I had fun making this card and taking a break from Christmas cards but I am looking forward to getting back to Christmas cards. 

Here's the paper that I made and where the card started from....

Here's the front of my card...

Here's the side of my card...

Here's the sentiment and the focal point on my card...

Supplies used
Seedless preserves distress ink - used to make the background
Peacock feathers distress ink - used to make the background 
Salty ocean distress ink - used to make the background 
Ink blending tool - used to make background
Water - to create little water droplets
MFT sheer shimmer (mixables) - use to add shimmer to background
White card stock - used for card base and background paper.
Shimmer paper - scraps used for stars from stash (no source)
MFT stacking stars die - used to cut out stars
Cuttlebug matchine - machine used with the dies to cut shapes.
EK success powder tool - used to take away static so powder only sticks where ink is
Versa Mark embossing ink- used to stamp sentiment in
Hero arts white embossing powder - used to emboss sentiment with
Heat tool - used to melt the embossing powder
Hampton art - "dreams come true" - stamp used for sentiment (not able to find source)
Mono multi glue - used to attach the sentiment and stars to the front of the card
2 sided tape - used to attach the background to the card base.
Foam adhesive dots- used to raise some of the stars and add dimension to the card
Tim holtz scissors - used to cut paper
Pick me up tool - used to move and position the stars on the front of the card.
EK success tools - tweezers used to position the stars onto the page
Fiskars Paper Trimmer - used to cut the background and the card base


  1. Lovely card with a terrific background! Super job! I have that sentiment stamp and use it all the time! Thanks for sharing your talents with us at Seize the Birthday!

    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. I haven't used this stamp before now and I like it and will be using it again very soon. Thanks for letting me join in the fun at Seize the Birthday, I hope to play along really soon!

  2. I love the background your created for your beautiful card. The sentiment on vellum looks great. Thanks so much for joining us at Seize the Birthday.

    1. Thanks for stopping by to share your comments with me. It was a really nice surprise and made my day. Thanks for letting me join all the talent over there at Seize the Birthday, I cannot wait to join you ladies again really soon!